No 46 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


46 King Street


No 46 is the second shop on the right. Immediately after it is the entrance to de Gruchy's Arcade

During the 19th century there were a large number of residential properties at the back of the shops on the north side of the western end of King Street, and many families are listed in the censuses for the same property numbers as the businesses, or in separate arcades, lanes and blocks of cottages. For the purpose of these articles we have tried to identify the main businesses operating from the shops on the street frontage.

China and glass

No 46 would eventually become part of Abraham de Gruchy’s store, but not until the 1880s. In 1840 it was advertised as the Calcutta Warehouse, dealing in groceries and tea. But it appears that this business was short-lived, because Pierre Le Brun, a bookseller, was shown as the occupant in the 1841 census.

He may just have been living above the 'warehouse', because in the 1851 census William Woonton, a grocer’s assistant, is shown living there with his wife Sarah, nee Hawker, and children James and Louisa. The family came from England but Louisa was born in Jersey. They had left by 1861 and No 46 had been split into two for census purposes. At No 46 Edmund Le Brun (1827- ), china and glass dealer, was in business and lived with his wife Ann, nee Filleul (1828- ), daughter Ada (1860- ) and stepson John Le Maistre (1851- ). They had another daughter, Elizabeth, in 1862. The daughters were born in St Helier but not baptised. We can also find no record of the baptism of either parent.

Edmund was the son of Pierre Le Brun and Marguerite de Beauchamp, whose other son, Leopold Denis, was baptised in St Helier in 1822. There is a suggestion in an online tree that both Edmund and his daughters were born at 46 King Street. The 1841 census is confusing as to which household was at which address in this section of King Street, but it appears that Pierre, Marguerite and Edmund were at No 46 and, as the 1851 census shows Pierre as a bookseller, but then living in St Peter, it is possible that he carried on this trade earlier in King Street.

Perhaps his business was taken over by William Redstone, a bookseller and stationer, who was operating and living with wife Ann and stepdaughter Jane Long at No 46½ in 1851.

By the time of the 1871 census, Pierre and Marguerite had moved to Guernsey, where she was born.

In 1871 the shop at No 46 had been taken over by tobacconist Sigmund Leopold (1829- ) from Bavaria, and his wife Elizabeth (1839- ). They had two sons and three daughters identified only by initials in the census. They moved to 13 King Street in 1877.

French bazaar

In 1881 two businesses appear to have been operating from No 46. One was a French bazaar run by the delightfully named Polydor Amalries (1849- ), from Villefranche, France, and his wife Louise (1852- ) from Nice. The other was a patisserie run by another Frenchman, Louis Leon Le Maitre, who is described in the census as a 'dealer in cooked meals'.

We believe that Amalries was written in error for Amalric, and that Polydor was the father of Louis, who ran a similar business, Au Paradis des Touristes, at 63 King Street from 1885 to 1919.

By 1885 No 46 had been taken over by A de Gruchy and Co for their expanding department store business.


  • 1833 - J Aubin, draper
  • 1840 - Calcutta Warehouse, groceries and teas
  • 1841 - Pierre Le Brun, bookseller
  • 1851 - William Woonton, grocer's assistant
  • 1861 - Edmund Le Brun, china and glass dealer
  • 1871 - Sigmund Leopold, tobacconist
  • 1881 - Polydor Amalric, French bazaar
  • 1881 - L Le Maistre, patissier
  • 1885 - A de Gruchy and Co

In 1912 a No 46a was listed, occupied by George de la Haye, but this is probably a misprint for 45a

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs