Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
15 Mulcaster Street
Mulcaster Street, St Helier
Type of property
19th century town house and shop
Sold for £142,500 in 2009, £465,000 in 2019
Families and businesses associated with the property
- 1861: George de Mitre (57) hair cutter, wife Rachel (43) dressmaker and seven children
- 1881: George Welch (32) grocer’s assistant, wife Elizabeth, nee Rollings (31) seamstress, three children
- 1891: Emma Le Breton (31), sons William (8) and Alfred (1)
- 1880-1940: P R Barbier, ship broker and Lloyds Surveyor
- 1950-1955: Greenline Photographs
- 1960-1965: Greenline Drive Yourself Cars
- 1970-1980: Allen's Travel
- 1990: Seymour Hotels
Historic Environment Record entry
No 15 is of significance as an early-mid 19th century shop with integral accommodation above retaining its original external form, scale and elevational proportions, which is of townscape interest and group value. It is a tangible reminder of the outward growth of the historic core of St Helier in the early-mid 19th century, whose development is bound up with the expansion of the town following the end of the wars with France; a period which had a significant impact on the life and economy of the town and saw the appearance of large scale retail frontages for the first time.
Mulcaster Street formed an important connection from the old town to the newly constructed waterfront and harbour.
Mid-terrace, two-bay, three-storey building which retains its original external form, scale and elevational proportions, although with loss of some original fabric.
The architectural interest is enhanced by the contribution of the building to a larger group. No 15, together with its neighbours in the block between Wharf Street and Bond Street, and some of the properties on the south side of the street, is of townscape interest forming a collective 19th century street scene sitting between the Town Church and the Weighbridge area.