Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
14-14½ Queen Street
Queen Street, St Helier
Type of property
19th century shop, but building has 18th century origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
Philip d'Arthenay, who apparently moved to No 12, was trading as a tobacconist at No 14 in 1833, and was back there by 1861. It is perhaps more likely that he occupied both premises throughout.
An 1858 advertisement showed Donaldson's English Cheese, Ham and Bacon Store at No 14
Wine merchant G P Perchard was trading at No 14 by 1880, and the property had been divided, with watchmaker jeweller J Payn at No 14½.
'G P' may have been a misprint, or perhaps a relative, because by 1886 the property was listed to C P Perchard, and again in 1890. The 1891 census revealed this to be Charles Perchard (1836- ), who was retired by then. He was living with his wife Susan, nee Payn (1850- ) and brother-in-law Frederick Payn, now running the wine merchants. This explains why F Payn and Mrs J Payn are also shown trading at No 14 in 1886. By 1890 the premises were listed to boot and shoe warehouse owner M Picot (who was trading there as early as 1887), and No 14½ to hosier E A Mitchell. In 1900 E Le Ruez was at 14 and J de la Haye at 14½.
The 1901 census, however, still showed wine merchant Frederick Payn (1848- ) and wife Bella (1866- ) at No 14. He was listed again in a 1905 almanac, but in 1910 J Routier was shown trading from 14, 14½ and 16, but there was no indication of the nature of his business. He was followed in 1930 by J R Howard, founder of Howard's opticians, which is still there today. No 14½ was given as the address in an advertisement for Touzel's tobaccos in 1946.
A claim for damages estimated at £483 17s 11d was made under the Channel Islands Rehabilitation Scheme for property belonging to J R Howard (Channel Islands) Limited
Historic Environment Record entry
Late 19th century shop, with 18th century origins. The building was cut back during road widening. Contributes to streetscape character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
A single build comprising two separate shop premises with offices over. Three storeys, five bays in total.
Notes and references