Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Les Marais Farm
La Ferme Marais
Rue des Marais, St Mary
Type of property
Three-storey farm with 17th century or earlier origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- de Gruchy: Owned by Jean David de Gruchy (1798-1871), who lived here with his wife, Elizabeth Bailhache. Their son Jean inherited in 1871, dying in 1891. By his wife, Ann Valpy of Les Fontaines, St John, he had as heiress, Anna Elizabeth de Gruchy (1876-1953), wife of Ernest Le Vavasseur dit Durell. Jean David de Gruchy's other property was Meadow Court, St Mary. The properties were inherited by two of the sons of the Le Vavasseur dit Durells
- Durell: This family now owns both properties, vested in two of their sons
- Barette: In 1941 Ann Cristin Barette, nee Barette (1875- ) and her sons Eldon Joseph (1912- ) and daughter Ella Christin (1917- ) were living here
- ECT ♥ IRB 1816 - For Elie Coutanche, son of Clement, and Jeanne Robert, daughter of Jean, who married in 1794
Historic Environment Record entry
Farmstead of early origins, retaining evidence from at least 17-19th century. A building is shown on this site on the Richmond Map of 1795.
This row of houses forms a cohesive group showing the architectural development over the centuries. Each retains its proportions, character and historic features. The earlier house displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details, including a round arch doorway. The later house emulates the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character.
Farm group comprising 19th century house (three-storey, five-bay) with 17th century house (two-storey, three-bay) to east. To east and west further two-storey wings returning south. East wing connected to 17th century in 20th century.