Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Les Chenolles, St John
Type of property
18th century house
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Bisson: The farm came into the family in the 1790s. The date on the lintel over the back door reads 1838, which may be date of the construction of the present house, although it may also refer to the construction of a room at the back of the house. One of the farm buildings contains the date 1886.
- Le Calvez: In 1941 Francis Gabriel Le Calvez (1882- ), his wife Madeline, nee Rivoallen (1891- ) and their daughter Olga Gwendoline (1917- ) were living here
Historic Environment Record entry
Mid-19th century house, five-bay, two-storey, with wing. Granite rubble with stucco removed, and with brick dressings. Stucco wing with 1838 datestone over back door.
At rear are granite rubble outbuildings in a large single block under a hipped roof, dated 1886.
Previously a school in the house.
Of particular note is a rare example of an historic limekiln. Granite rubble, rectangular facade built into north-facing hedge bank, rectangular lower opening to north side, dressed granite surround. Small chamber to north lined with small granite stones, large lintel supports opening to south in front of chamber.